Saturday, January 2, 2010

January First

Jan 1. I was up last night until after midnight, awaiting the departure of the old year, and the commencement of the New. As I sat there musing, many mournful thoughts presented themselves to me. I reflected on the time mispent on the many good resolutions with which I had commenced the year and the small number of them which I had regarded, and while I felt grateful to my Heavenly father for having so graciously watched over me, I resolved with his help, to live more to the glory of his Great name during the year to come.
“Then lets' be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate,
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.”
I have now kept a journal of my life during the past two years. I intend to continue doing so this year, but in a fuller form than hertofore. I think that in after years that it will be pleasant to look back upon my younger days.
This morning while at breakfast I formed a plan of driving down to J.lushing to call on my friend Austin B.Page who is teaching school there, and take dinner with him. So after breakfast, I went to Elizabeth Millets and borrowed their wagon and harness and invited her son Willie to accompany me. My horse that I wished to drive, “Nellie Tremont”, being laid up by a sprain, I harnessed Jenny. We left Westbury at 10.15 a.m. And arrived at J.lushing 15 miles at 12.30 pm, just as they were setting down to dinner. The day was very warm and we had a very pleasant drive. After dinner we went to take a stroll around J.lushing. We went through Parsons' nurseries, and on our return went to see the house wherein George Fox resided, when in this county. It is in a good state of presentation and on the end towards the street bears the date in ___ letters. Immediately opposite the house on the other side of the street stands a noble oak under which George Fox is said to have preached.
We left for home at 3 P.M., where we arrived at 6 after a very cold ride. I have never spent “New Years” more pleasantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment